Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Relationships First

Looking Out The Deep End
From Flickr photostream of Ali Puckett


Today I learned a very timely lesson in relationships.  I'm presenting at a provincial conference with a collegue at the end of the month.  The conference is on Assessment practices, this is important to know.  This is the first time I've ever presented at a big conference like this.  We submitted our handout's a week or so ago after going through them again and again.  I've used many of the slides as handouts for years and I guess i also didn't know how to view them.

Today.

Well today I got an email with very timely feedback written in anecdotal form on our handouts.  It was very VERY humbling.  There was one "slap your forehead" mistake (forgot to cite Carol Ann Tomlinson on her DI concept map OOPS!).  There were a few slides that I'm 99% sure I wrote.... but when I was asked to cite them I'm worried that maybe I didnt.  So now I'm having an internal struggle about that.  And one quote from a student from years past that I'm having trouble trying to remember the name of. 

The hardest part of this feeback was the comments on an Aboriginal social studies unit I created when I was a classroom teacher.  I understand where they are coming from, and I understand the cultural sensitivity that should always be used when teaching and learning about other cultures. But I guess being questioned about my level of respect by someone who doesn't know me was a little harder to swallow than I anticipated.  Also being asked how it connects to the curriculum had me a little taken aback.  What do I do?  This is a unit I made by collaborating with the aboriginal liason in my school, also using materials and ideas I was given in a district offered PD session.  I invite elders into my classroom to teach dances, and tell stories, I've work with aboriginal artists to create curricular connections in art.  If these people had asked me about my unit instead of assuming my ignorance maybe i wouldn't feel so bad right now?

I guess the most important thing I learned today is that you can't assess someone without first getting to know them.  When you blindly assess you may not actually know what you are assessing.  Not to mention depending on the kid (or adult) your "timely feedback" may end up setting them back.  I know I'm really rethinking my decision to present, maybe I'm not ready for this kind of conference. To late now I suppose, back i go treading water in the deep end!

No comments:

Post a Comment