Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

My Unsolicited Advice for New Teachers Being Interviewed



I’ve been an assistant principal for three school start ups now.  I’ve been doing this long enough that I’ve had enough practice interviewing and hiring teachers to really know what I want to hear in an interview.  Those key things that make a candidate stand out.  

Now to provide some background information to help understand where I’m coming from.  I work in a school district that is young and vibrant, in a community that is very transient.  Our students are always coming and going, as are our teachers.  We don’t get a ton of highly experienced teacher apply for our positions, and for the most part we get a long list of people fresh out of their ed degree’s, or people who have been substitute teaching since leaving university a year or so ago.  

That being said I love hearing our freshest teachers talk about their experiences.  But even some of the most dazzling gems my principal and I have hired faltered on a few key points in their interviews.  Here is my thoughts, in hope that it never happens again.

1. When you are asked about your planning process.....

Please mention curriculum.  How you plan things that align with learning goals.  We love to hear that you begin with the end in mind.  It’s even better if you can discuss your unit planning methods, wether they are UbD related, or some other amazing planning style I’m not aware of yet.  Please talk about your assessment plans, and how you link your lessons plans to those deep understandings you have (or plan to have) for your students.

2. When we ask how you communicate with parents...

Show no fear.  Establishing relationships with the parents of your students will make your job so much easier.  The earlier you can do this the better.  Tell us about how you pick up the phone to make contact with parents for good and not so good.  We’re here to support you.  

3. That silly technology question...

Tell us how you maneuver through social media, and how you can use youtube to enrich lessons.  Talk about how you can’t wait to learn from the students in your class and create an online learning community that extends well beyond your classroom.  I know I know you want to talk about your slick smart board/promethean board skills.  It’s no longer about how you handle technology, but how you open that gate for our students.

4. The classroom management question....

I know sometimes these questions are set up so you think back to that one nightmare behavioral moment we all have that ended with someone from admin needing to intervene because things had escalated out of control.  We’ve all been there.  But thats not what we are looking for here.  Tell me about a time where you were able to turn a situation around.  Talk to us about your successes.  If you haven’t found one yet, then talk us through your reflection of that not so great moment, what are you going to try next time. 

Be innovative.  Tell your interviewer your story.  Only you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment